Claiming Compensation for Criminal Injuries

There are so many ways in which you can sustain an injury. Being attacked by someone is probably the most brutal of them, and leaves you damaged emotionally and physically.

If you have been the victim of a violent crime, you are entitled to apply for compensation. Being a victim not only causes severe physical and psychological stress but can also result in financial losses. The injuries sustained in such incidents can be life-threatening and affects you and your loved ones. If you have sustained an injury or anyone you know has lost his life because of an attack, you should definitely claim compensation.

How should you start the process?

If you should meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority or CICA for compensation. You should ideally apply within 2 years from the date of the crime. If you were a minor at the time of the attack, you have two years from your eighteenth birthday to apply for this particular claim.

Eligibility for applying for compensation to CICA:

For lodging a complaint with the CICA, here are the following things you need to keep in mind.

1)      You should be a resident of the UK and the attack needs to have happened in England, Scotland, Wales or other European Union countries.

2)      The physical injury, emotional damage or financial losses that you suffer must have been as a result of the crime in question. You can also apply if you came under attack while trying to stop a crime from occurring or are a close relative of someone who has died in such a situation.

3)      You were not at fault in the crime in any manner.

4)      After the incident, you reported it to the police.

What the compensation covers:

While the compensation will not be able to erase the trauma that the entire incident causes to you or your loved ones but it will help you in covering any financial or medical cost that you had to bear as a result of the injuries.

Why should you take the help of a solicitor?

Sometimes if your injuries are not serious enough, the CICA may reject your claims. There is another option you can avail in these cases—the government-run Hardship Fund. However, it is always advisable to take the help of a solicitor in such a situation who will look through your case and let you know the odds of getting a successful compensation and whom you should apply to for the same.

There are a large number of solicitors who can help you out in criminal injury claim issues, and you can find a complete list of them on the Solicitors Guru website.

If you are unable to pay the legal fees required to hire a solicitor, you can opt for the No Win No Fee agreement. This would mean that you only have to pay the solicitor if you successfully claim your compensation, but if you need more data on that matter you can read detailed no win no fee materials.

Always apply for compensation when you have been made a victim!